It’s been rumored that Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse would be added as the semi-main event to the Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez card for some time now. And based on today’s news, that rumor is now reality.
Richard Schaeffer announced today that Garcia vs. Matthysse would be on the show with Leonard Ellerbe predicting fight of the year.
Schaeffer believes the gate will beat the Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya gate from 2007, which is the highest in boxing history.
While I personally don’t think they have a chance to top the PPV numbers of that fight, Schaeffer thinks they do, but he always does.
I caught the Mayweather/Marquez press conference which was streamed on HBO.com today.
Here were the highlights:
– Leonard Ellerbe noted that working with Golden Boy has been excellent.
– Ellerbe gave Floyd credit for the movie theater idea.
– Ellerbe started talking about great trainers and Roger interrupted said he’s the only great trainer.
– Oscar comes out and says that Roger has him confused and because he thought Floyd Sr. was the only great trainer. That was funny.
– Oscar says that Marquez is going to dethrone the king and he’s taking pictures to make sure he records history. He says that he couldn’t do it himself and you could hear Floyd in the background saying something.
– Oscar says this is the biggest fight in history and I just rolled my eyes, considering he and Floyd together was about 4 times bigger than this will ever be.