W. Morrissey & Purazzo debut in AEW
IMPACT Wrestling stars W. Morrissey and Deonna Purazzo made their AEW debuts on Dynamite this week. Morrissey came in as a mercenary for MJF to try and take out Wardlow and Purazzo defended her ROH Women’s title against Mercedes Martinez. Both lost convincingly.
No one has been able to confirm whether Morrissey has a long term contract with IMPACT or not, but he was announced as being from IMPACT, came out to his IMPACT theme song and stage name, which tells us he has some sort of contractual agreement. He looked great and the match with Wardlow was really good. Jim Ross asked the question of whether Morrissey was there for a one time payday or a job interview. According to Andrew Zarian of Mat Men, WWE officials were watching and were very impressed.
As for Purazzo, her match with Martinez was a victim of poor placement. They were the main event and really should not have been. She tapped out and lost her title which upset some IMPACT fans. But she is contracted to IMPACT and ROH will want their talent to hold their titles. With Martinez as champ Tony Khan will have total control over dates. However, Scott D’Amore had to know the finishes ahead of time, and letting two of his top stars go to AEW and lose in the same night in convincing fashion does his company no favors. D’Amore seemingly could have said no, instead he allowed his company to look minor league on a major stage.
IMPACT! on AXS TV review
This weeks Under Siege go-home episode was the best in about a month. It was built around three big matches: JONAH vs PCO in a Monsters Ball, W. Morrissey vs Brian Myers in a tables match, and Steve Maclin vs Tomohiro Ishii. All three delivered in their own ways. Honor No More and the Bullet Club continued their feud, the Briscoes cut a hell of a promo on Violent By Design, and there was an incredible vignette featuring Taya and Deonna. Under Siege is a stacked card and this episode got me excited for the show, which meant it worked very well.
- PCO finally beats JONAH: In a time where there is way too much plunder on wrestling television, PCO and JONAH killed it with a plunder match. PCO took several scary looking bumps and really had the crowd behind him. JONAH was awesome and took a big table bump from the middle rope to the floor.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) May 6, 2022
- Steve Maclin shines despite falling to Tomohiro Ishii: This match built Ishii as a credible opponent for Josh Alexander this weekend as well as proving to the world that Steve Maclin is ready for the main event. Maclin absolutely shined against Ishii. I’ve seen several Ishii matches across three promotions, and this was by far the most intense.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) May 6, 2022
- Tables match with W. Morrissey and Brian Myers: This was a fun, ridiculous match reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode. Brian Myers with help from Chelsea and Cardona made Morrissey look like a monster. They failed several times to put the big man through a table and Morrissey finally got his revenge on Myers.
- Ace Austin defeats Rocky Romero: Not sure why Romero got a title shot, as he has never won a match here. But Austin looked great and this match will likely end up on NJPW World and will give the New Japan audience a taste of Ace before he enters the Best of the Super Juniors.
- Jay White and Chris Bey beat Swann and Mack: Good, fun match. White and Bey are a great team and this looked like the end of the Swann and Mack pairing.
- Swinger’s Dungeon: Zicky Dice and and Johnny Swinger are fantastic.
- Tasha Steelz and Savanah enter the undead realm: The undead realm has returned. It’s hokey, it’s silly, and it’s unfunny.
- JONAH has finished up with IMPACT. He was on a sixth month contract that expired at Rebellion. His main focus is New Japan and as we saw this week, things in Japan are opening up and more foreign talents are going over there. JONAH was incredible during his run and put over PCO as a monster on the way out. Hope IMPACT brings him back.
- Willie Mack is also no longer under contract as well. Dave Meltzer reported that he was due a significant salary increase as part of his deal but IMPACT cut the contract. Its possible he could be brought back on a per night deal.
- Brian Myers’ contract also expired, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be sticking around.
- Jessie McKay of the IInspiration, who just recently retired, has a role in a new movie called “The Charisma Killers.” No word on if the movie is about TJP. This also further explains why they retired, they are very talented and have so many opportunities to make money without beating their bodies up.
- For those wondering why IMPACT never signed Bray Wyatt, Dave Meltzer is reporting that he was far apart on money with every company he talked to and was making around $4 million his last year with WWE.
- Athena stated in an interview with the Asylum Wrestling store that if IMPACT called she would be interested. IMPACT should call.
- Moose told Sean Ross Sapp that he had a big offer from WWE but IMPACT made a huge offer and kept him. Moose also told JD and I last year that he did not re-sign with IMPACT when he actually did, too, so there’s that.
The May 5 episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV averaged 108,000 viewers with a 0.04 demo, up from last weeks 107,000/0.02. Thats their highest rating demo since January 27
New Japan on AXS TV averaged 30, 000 viewers with a 0.01 demo
IMPACT Ratings 2022
|Apr-28||107,000||0.02||Moose vs Alexander; NFL Draft competition|
|Mar-31||149,000||0.04||Bullet Club vs Motor City Machine Guns 2|
|Mar-24||100,000||0.02||Mickie vs Tasha|
|Mar-17||68,000||0.02||Josh Alexander vs Matt Taven|
|Mar-3||131,000||0.04||Sacrifice Go-home; #133 on Showbuzz|
|Feb-25||111,000||0.03||No Surrender fallout; #141 on Showbuzz|
|Feb-17||109,000||0.03||Bullet Club vs VBD; #131 on Showbuzz|
|Feb-10||117,000||0.03||W. Morrissey vs Brian Myers; #145 on Showbuzz|
|Feb-3||114,000||0.02||Bullet Club vs IMPACT|
|Jan-27||182,000||0.05||#104 on Showbuzz; PCO vs Chris Sabin|
|Jan-20||126,000||0.03||Josh Alexander vs Charlie Haas; #147 on Showbuzz|
|Jan-13||111,000||0.03||Deonna Purazzo vs Rok-C. #144 on Showbuzz|
|Jan-6||104,000||0.02||Hard to Kill “go-home”|
The premium version of Brace for IMPACT is on Fight Game Media Network Plus. It’s the uncut, uncensored, ad-free version. We’ll also add bonus content exclusive to the Patreon.