Texas Death match added to Hard to Kill
The World Knockouts championship match between Mickie James and Deonna Purazzo at Hard to Kill will now be a Texas Death match. Gail Kim made the announcement on this weeks IMPACT moments after Scott D’Amore implemented a no contact order between the two. Purazzo attacked James during an autograph signing earlier in the episode. While I have not been a big fan of the divisions booking overall, James vs. Purazzo has been outstanding. A Texas Death match will be a great way to cap off their feud.
Hard to Kill will feature no less than 12 women in big matches. The Ultimate X match has Chelsea, Grace, Ellering, Frost, Tasha, and Rosemary. The knockouts tag team titles will likely be on the line between the IInspiration taking on the Influence. We could also see the return of Masha Slamovich as teased on IMPACT this week, as well as the debut of Rok-C. Say what you want about IMPACT’s creative, but no other televised North American wrestling company puts more women in prominent positions than IMPACT.
IMPACT! on AXS TV review
Another week, another missable episode. I’m not the only one who felt that way as the ratings strongly reflected my feelings. It’s not that the show was bad, it usually isn’t, it’s flat. Once they told me that a contract signing, one of the oldest tropes in wrestling, was headlining the show, they told me that I didn’t need to watch. IMPACT will be taking the next two weeks off but the audience got a head start. The show returns on January 6 with an episode that was taped back in November. Hopefully they bring some energy as that will be the go-home episode for Hard to Kill.
- Josh Alexander vs. Rohit Raju: Really good opener and my match of the night. At times I felt like Raju got too much offense but considering Alexander was selling an attack from JONAH, it actually made sense.
- JONAH promo: This was awesome, watch below:
Now I can tell you stories that I couldn't before …
— JONAH (@JONAHISHERE) December 17, 2021
- Chris Bey vs. Laredo Kid: This match had great action bell to bell as to be expected with these two. I didn’t like how they set the match up and Hikuleo’s interference became too much but it really was a good match.
- Doc Gallows and Joe Doering vs. Willie Mack and Rich Swann: An OK match that ended in chaos, which I like. The more Doering I see on TV the better .
- Maclin kidnaps Miguel: Count me all the way in on Steve Maclin. Everything he says and does has purpose and I believe in him. The kidnapping scene was a bit campy but Maclin’s performance sold it for me.
- Cardona nails Chelsea with a chair: This went too long and got boring at times. Morrissey was great as he just signed the contract and left. The aftermath of Cardona hitting Chelsea with a chair was supposed to draw heat but actually made me laugh and its now a running joke on Twitter. Not likely intentional.
- Tenille pins McKay: The match was fine but this is the third storyline where a champion loses a pinball in a non-title situation to set up a match at Hard to Kill. Moose was pinned by Cardona and James by Purazzo. There is a real lack of quality control in this company.
- Contract signing: I’d be OK with never seeing one of these again in my life. They are so overdone. Moose, Cardona, and Morrissey were all great in their roles but it just didn’t work out the way they intended it to.
- Overall show: Nothing was bad but nothing was particularly good either. The stories are not quite hitting like they should.
The December 16 episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV averaged 71,000 viewers with a 0.02 demo according to ShowbuzzDaily. Total viewership is down from last weeks 90,000 and the demo rating is down from last weeks 0.03.
IMPACT Ratings 2021
|Date||Total Viewers||18- 49 Demo Rating||Notes|
|30-Mar||148,512||0.04||Final Tuesday Night Episode|
|8-Apr||168,000||0.06||Thursday Night Debut, head to Head with NXT|
|29-Apr||120,000||0.05||NFL Draft Night|
|1-Jul||69,000||0.02||Technical glitch w/TV Guide|
|19-Aug||126,000||0.04||#122 in Top 150|
|26-Aug||93,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|2-Sept||126,000||0.04||#129 in top 150|
|16-Sept||105, 000||0.02||Did not Chart (head to head with Dark Side)|
|7-Oct||111,000||0.02||Did not chart|
|14-Oct||89,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|21-Oct||93,000||0.02||Did Not Chart|
|28-Oct||100,000||0.03||Did Not Chart (Final Dark Side)|
|Nov-4||118,000||0.02||Did Not Chart|
|Nov 18||129,000||0.02||Alexander vs Minoru Suzuki|
|Dec 2||96,000||0.02||JONAH debut|
|Dec 16||71,000||0.02||Triple Threat contract signing|
Brace for IMPACT is now on Spotify and Apple Podcasts
Brace for IMPACT, hosted by JD Oliva and myself on the Fight Game Media Network, has been given its own feed on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and all other podcast apps. The show had been exclusive to Fight Game Media Network Plus on Patreon since March. Our weekly free show will recap IMPACT! on AXS TV, and the uncut, uncensored, ad-free version will continue on Patreon where we not only review the weekly show, but we will recap all the IMPACT Plus specials, pay-per-views, break down all the news and headlines surrounding IMPACT, Q-and-As with the listeners, classic match and event reviews, plus much more.