JONAH vs Josh Alexander added to Hard to Kill
JONAH vs. Josh Alexander has been added to Hard to Kill, as announced by IMPACT EVP Scott D’Amore. This will be a marquee match on the show and likely a co-headliner. JONAH will have the opportunity to prove his detractors in WWE management wrong by having a classic with Alexander, who has become one of the top wrestlers in the world. IMPACT is setting up monsters in Josh’s path en route to an eventual title rematch with Moose. On paper this looks to become far and away the match of the night and a hell of a way to kick off the new year.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) December 10, 2021
Knockouts Ultimate-X participants revealed
Gail Kim announced on IMPACT on AXS TV! that the newest addition to the Knockouts division, Lady Frost, will join Rosemary, Chelsea Green, Jordynne Grace, Rachel Ellering, and Tasha Steelz in the first ever Knockouts Ultimate-X match at Hard to Kill. Most of the participants make total sense but for the life of me I do not understand how Green found her way in to the match. Frost is a great addition as she is highly athletic ad perform high-flying moves.
Grace, Ellering, and Tasha are also great athletes and Tasha specifically may be able to pull off some high flying moves. Rosemary is a great character and always shines bright on the big stage. A glaring omission from the match is Masha Slamovich, whom we haven’t seen since she signed with IMPACT back in October. Could she be added to the match? Also, Taya Valkyrie who returned to AAA TV this past Saturday is available and this would be the perfect way to reintroduce her, if she were to return to the company.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) December 10, 2021
IMPACT! on AXS TV review
After last week’s good-to-very good episode, this week was mostly miss-able. The overall show lacked energy as it appears we are entering the doldrums of the wrestling business.
December is typically a down period. IMPACT will be taking off for two weeks on the 23rd and 30th, choosing to air their annual best of shows. So the this weeks and next weeks shows will be promoting Hard to Kill on January 8. Hopefully something happens next week to help keep the audience focused on the brand while they likely spend the following two Thursdays doing something other than watching wrestling.
- Morrissey vs. Matt Cardona: This was a good main event with an OK show closing angle. Typically, I am not in favor of disqualifications in main events however, the way they did it worked. Cardona got beat down the whole match, even bleeding while Morrissey came across as a vicious monster. I don’t know if it was intentional, but Morrissey has the makings of a bad-ass anti-hero. The audience was supposed to boo but they were very much in to him. Shoving down Chelsea didn’t generate any heat since she is unlikable and just recently wrestled in a match against Jake Something. In the weird universe IMPACT created, violence against women in the ring is acceptable, so why would the audience be mad at Morrissey?
- Josh Alexander and Scott D’Amore drama: We may eventually get sick of their banter but the tow worked well together. In this story, D’Amore continues to plant the seeds of a heel turn.
- Eric Young beats Rhino amid tag team chaos: Not that we ever need to see a silly match with aluminum cookie sheets and phony trash cans ever again, there was enough chaos that I was entertained. Most of the entire tag team division interfered as we look to be headed to another multi-team match at Hard to Kill that literally no one will be interested in.
- Purazzo gets her pin back over Mickie: This was a hit for the mixed tag match with Mickie James and Sabin vs Deonna and Rehwoldt. Good action, although its weird to see the Knockouts champion being pinned in a tag match just one week after the IMPACT champion was pinned in a similar match. IMPACT needs a creative overhaul and some kind of checks and balances.
- Scoot D’Amore: D’Amore is a great, seasoned performer but he is on my TV way too much. Almost every segment revolved around him. I know he’s the boss but lets pull back the reins on the D’Amore megapush.
- Decay vs. The IInspiration and the Influence: There was a dreadful promo that led to this horrendous match. Tenille got pinned so The Influence is likely to get the next shot at the IInspiration. Lose a match, get a title shot.
- FinJuice vs. The Learning Tree: Zicky Dice tried some sort of a magic trick in the middle of the match where he began pulling a pink intestine out of his mouth. Juice looked confused and then just got him in a headlock while the announce team sounded embarrassed as to what they were watching. Which given the history of this company says a lot. FinJuice won in a bad match.
The December 9 episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV averaged 90,000 viewers with a 0.03 demo according to ShowbuzzDaily. Total viewership is down from last weeks 96,000 but the demo rating is up from last weeks 0.03. The show ranked #136 in the top 150. This is the first time the show has made the top 150 since September 30.
IMPACT Ratings 2021
|Date||Total Viewers||18- 49 Demo Rating||Notes|
|30-Mar||148,512||0.04||Final Tuesday Night Episode|
|8-Apr||168,000||0.06||Thursday Night Debut, head to Head with NXT|
|29-Apr||120,000||0.05||NFL Draft Night|
|1-Jul||69,000||0.02||Technical glitch w/TV Guide|
|19-Aug||126,000||0.04||#122 in Top 150|
|26-Aug||93,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|2-Sept||126,000||0.04||#129 in top 150|
|16-Sept||105, 000||0.02||Did not Chart (head to head with Dark Side)|
|7-Oct||111,000||0.02||Did not chart|
|14-Oct||89,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|21-Oct||93,000||0.02||Did Not Chart|
|28-Oct||100,000||0.03||Did Not Chart (Final Dark Side)|
|Nov-4||118,000||0.02||Did Not Chart|
|Nov 18||129,000||0.02||Alexander vs Minoru Suzuki|
|Dec 2||96,000||0.02||JONAH debut|
Brace for IMPACT is now on Spotify and Apple Podcasts
Brace for IMPACT, hosted by JD Oliva and myself on the Fight Game Media Network, has been given its own feed on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and all other podcast apps. The show had been exclusive to Fight Game Media Network Plus on Patreon since March. Our weekly free show will recap IMPACT! on AXS TV, and the uncut, uncensored, ad-free version will continue on Patreon where we not only review the weekly show, but we will recap all the IMPACT Plus specials, pay-per-views, break down all the news and headlines surrounding IMPACT, Q-and-As with the listeners, classic match and event reviews, plus much more.