Braun Strowman expected to debut at Bound For Glory
Mike Johnson of PW Insider is reporting that Adam Scherr, the former Braun Strowman in WWE, is debuting this weekend for IMPACT Wrestling. He is expected to appear at Bound for Glory. No details on the terms of the agreement with Scherr, who will be using the nickname “The Titan,” were provided. Scherr becomes the biggest name free agent acquisition in the history of Anthem-owned IMPACT and should provide a much needed boost in star power.
IMPACT! on AXS TV review
The Bound for Glory go-home show was all about one thing: Building Josh Alexander. The episode aired an eight minute documentary on Alexander’s road to the main event this week,which was one of the most well-produced pieces in company history. The show closing segment featured an impassioned promo by Alexander that should remove all doubt as to whether he is the right guy to carry this company in to the future. However, if Alexander loses this Saturday, after such good storytelling, it would end up among the biggest flops in the history of the promotion.
- Josh Alexander documentary: While these pieces typically lead to ratings drops, that really doesn’t matter in IMPACT. This was a wonderful documentary that everyone should go out of their way to see.
- Cage-Alexander go-home promo: This was the most powerful promo of Alexanders career and cemented him as the top guy in the promotion. Cage was excellent as well, and really played the cagey, manipulative veteran role. The two brawled for the first time, as their friendly rivalry turned in to a feud that has reached its apex. Alexander’s line of “I’m gonna slam the Forbidden Door in your face and send shockwaves through this whole business and let everyone who wants to walk through it know that the best wrestler in the world is right here waiting for them.” Perfect storytelling.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) October 22, 2021
- Micki James vs. Savannah Evans: Solid match to further the story with James and Purazzo. Rehwoldt attacked James at the end adding a little more heat.
- Trey Miguel vs. Alex Zayne: Excellent match by two of the top talents on the indie scene. Miguel picked up the win and was attacked by Maclin. ELP and the Bullet Club hit the ring and attacked both men after that.
- Bullet Club (Chris Bey & Hikuleo) vs. FinJuice: The match and ring work itself wasn’t so bad, but the finish was atrocious. The bout ended with a double pin which will lead to both teams getting a title shot at the Good Brothers at Bound for Glory. It’s the same old lazy booking for some of the undercard feuds that we get this this company time and time again. We just had a four-way title match at Slammiversary followed by a three way at Emergence for these same titles. I would really like it if the creative team studied the Midnight Express vs. The Rock and Roll Express matches from the ’80’s so they can see what kind of business having heated feuds in the tag division can lead to. It’s just paint-by-numbers storytelling that fills time.
- Tenille Dashwood has pulled out of Bound for Glory for undisclosed reasons. Madison Rayne will replace her in the Digital Media Championship finals. For those keeping score, Rayne won nothing to be in the spot but is gifted a shot at their brand new title. Why can’t it be a five way?
BREAKING: @TenilleDashwood will not be at #BoundForGlory and has requested that @MadisonRayne replace her in the Digital Media Championship Tournament final, which IMPACT management has granted. pic.twitter.com/mAtQFHv2dJ
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) October 22, 2021
- Gail Kim will induct Awesome Kong in to the Hall of Fame this weekend.
- Dave Meltzer reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Bound for Glory sold over 900 tickets and that the subsequent tapings, featuring Minoru Suzuki, while not sold out, are doing really well.
- According to Fightful Select, Jonah Rock (f.k.a. Bronson Reed) is receiving interest from both NJPW and IMPACT Wrestling.
- Jon Burton, host of Before the IMPACT, has finished up his duties as the team heads to Las Vegas. Burton is a sports caster and radio personality in Nashville and won’t be traveling with the company.
- Buddy Matthews teased an appearance at Bound for Glory. He also pulled a similar stunt prior to AEW’s Dynamite: Grand Slam, teasing that he may be the joker in their “Casino Battle Royal”.
No longer with I be Bound by restrictions… Glory is simply persevering through tough times!
— Buddy Matthews (@SNM_Buddy) October 22, 2021
The October 14 episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV averaged 93,0000 viewers with a 0.02 demo. Once again, the show did not make the Showbuzz Top 150 this week. Total viewership is up from last weeks 89,000, however the demo is down from last weeks 0.03. Dark Side of the Ring averaged 109,000 with a 0.05 rating for the XPW episode, which is their lowest on record.
IMPACT Ratings 2021
|Date||Total Viewers||18- 49 Demo Rating||Notes|
|30-Mar||148,512||0.04||Final Tuesday Night Episode|
|8-Apr||168,000||0.06||Thursday Night Debut, head to Head with NXT|
|29-Apr||120,000||0.05||NFL Draft Night|
|1-Jul||69,000||0.02||Technical glitch w/TV Guide|
|19-Aug||126,000||0.04||#122 in Top 150|
|26-Aug||93,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|2-Sept||126,000||0.04||#129 in top 150|
|17-Sept||105, 000||0.02||Did not Chart|
|7-Oct||111,000||0.02||Did not chart|
|14-Oct||89,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|21-Oct||93,000||0.02||Did Not Chart|
Listen to the latest episode of the Brace for Impact podcast on the Fight Game Media Network. It’s available in the first tier for $2.99 a month.