IMPACT! on AXS TV review
While last week’s episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV was “very middle-of-the-road,” this week’s was entirely unremarkable. It’s not that it was terrible. It wasn’t. It just wasn’t exciting or must-see, which has been happening over the last couple weeks.
Tommy Dreamer wrestled in the main event against Ace Austin, where if Dreamer won he would be inserted in to the main event of Victory Road. That match being booked tells you all you need to know.
There were also two inter-gender style matches that thankfully were not long or gratuitous. Besides one match and two interview segments, the show is skippable; you could get what you need from clips being shared on social media. The good news is that next week’s episode looks to be loaded.
Josh Alexander vs. Jake Crist: Alexander improves to 2–0 against guys named Jake from the last couple weeks. Nice to see the returning Crist, who has really gotten himself in to shape. They never really should have let him go honestly, but since they did, its great to see his improvements. Alexander won with a devastating looking C-4 spike.
Josh Alexander-Chris Segment interview: After successfully defeating Crist, Josh Alexander was being interviewed by Gia Miller and stated that he wants to become one of the greatest X-division champions of all time. This brought out eight-time champion Chris Sabin, who challenged Alexander to a match at Victory Road. This was an awesome segment. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for this match.
The Good Brothers-Rich Swann segment: This was a minor hit because of the Good Brothers who have been on their game lately. They did a great job of being serious bad-asses while peppering in some funny lines. Swann came down and attacked the duo setting up a Bunkhouse Brawl next week, which was weird.
Brian Meyers’ “Most Professional Wrestler” talent search: Brian Myers and Sam Beale were great in these segments. Myers has started to find himself in IMPACT as a delusional, funny heel. They used this segment to finally introduce Zicky Dice, who has signed with the company and will be in a Myers-led faction going forward.
Rohit Raju and Shera vs. Matt Cardona and Chelsea Green: This was another slight hit. I am not at all into inter gender matches but this was short and the man on woman violence was kept to a minimum. Rohit landed a quick knee to Chelsea and pinned her, then ran out of the ring celebrating like a chicken shit. It made me laugh, so it was a hit with me.
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) September 3, 2021
Tommy Dreamer vs. Ace Austin: Their match wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t good either. Fulton interfered in the match and distracted Dreamer to help Austin get the win. Yes, their number-one contender needed help to defeat and barely-moving, 50-year old Dreamer. Something isn’t right here. They had no reason to protect Dreamer, who has been getting his ass kicked clean for 25 years.
Taylor Wilde, Jordynne Grace, and Rachel Ellering vs. The Influence (Madison Rayne, Tenille Dashwood & Kaleb With a K): None of this interested me. However, I did think Kaleb played his part well.
Decay vs. Fallah and No Way: This could have been a BTI match, which is sad considering Decay was involved. Thankfully, Decay won the match, and I really hope they move on from this program.
- Deonna Purazzo attacked Mickie James during the NWA 73 pay-per-view this past Sunday. It appears they are setting up a match between the two at Bound for Glory
- AEW Dynamite has been moved from October 20th due to NHL hockey taking precedence on TNT and will now air live on October 23rd, head to head with Bound for Glory. At this point BFG is still advertised for that date but that could change. Many AEW talents are scheduled for the Jericho Cruise that weekend and Christian should be scheduled for BFG, assuming he doesn’t lose the title before then. The competing events could leave AEW or IMPACT in a bind.
- Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman) announced that he will take on EC3 at EC3’s Free the Narrative event. Still no word on if or when he‘ll officially be joining IMPACT.
- Fightful Select that Jake Crist has not signed a new deal with IMPACT, but that they were really impressed by him at the tapings.
- Ace Romero has asked to be released from his contract. Romero contracted COVID-19 in May and has not been used since then. Neither has his XXXL partner, Larry D.
- Josh Alexander took on Daniel Garcia on NJPW Strong tonight on NJPW World.
According to Showbuzz Daily, the September 1 episode of IMPACT! on AXS TV averaged 126,000 total viewers, up from last weeks low of 93,000. The 18–49 demo held strong with a 0.04 rating. The show ranked #129 in the top 150.
IMPACT Ratings 2021
|Date||Total Viewers||18- 49 Demo Rating||Notes|
|30-Mar||148,512||0.04||Final Tuesday Night Episode|
|8-Apr||168,000||0.06||Thursday Night Debut, head to Head with NXT|
|29-Apr||120,000||0.05||NFL Draft Night|
|1-Jul||69,000||0.02||Technical glitch w/TV Guide|
|19-Aug||126,000||0.04||#122 in Top 150|
|93,000||0.03||Did not chart|
|126,000||0.04||#129 in top 150|
Listen to the latest episode of the Brace for Impact podcast on the Fight Game Media Network. It’s available in the first tier for $2.99 a month.