What were the top stories last week?
The UFC had a semi-major show, but most of the big stories were actually unrelated to big shows.
Let’s get to the stories.
Here’s what missed the top five:
– John Cena was injured in a match with Kevin Owens. This is believed to be the botch that it came from.
— chris (@c_hawk1994) September 5, 2015
– I wondered if WWE will turn Roman Reigns heel.
– Chris Jericho says he’ll face Kevin Owens at Madison Square Garden. That’s supposed to be the house show that will be shown on the WWE Network. It’s rumored that Brock Lesnar will throw around the Big Show on that one too.
– Lana injured her wrist, per WWE.com.
– In a scary one, a WWE Performance Center stalker was shot by police.
– UFC 200 will be July 9, 2016 at the new MGM Arena in Las Vegas, which is a week after it was originally scheduled.
– Lawler vs Condit is now the main event for UFC 195.
– The Karate Hottie Michelle Waterson faces Tecia Torres at UFC 194.
– Lance Pugmire writes a long piece about Oscar De La Hoya, in which De La Hoya paints Richard Schaefer in a very negative light.
– In an interesting deal, Timothy Bradley parted ways with trainer Joel Diaz. Diaz blames Bradley’s wife who is also his manager. And now, Bradley vs Rios talks are happening again.
– Anthony Dirrell beat Marco Antonio Rubio quite easily.
– Santa Cruz/Mares does a strong rating for ESPN.
And now, the top five.
5. Demetrious Johnson beats John Dodson again.
— UFC (@ufc) September 6, 2015
It was business as usual for Demetrious Johnson who has a stranglehold on the flyweight division in the UFC. A second crack at Johnson didn’t help Dodson. In fact, it showed how much distance there is between Johnson and the rest of the division.
Who is next for Mighty Mouse? Does he want to go up and challenge TJ Dillashaw? Or will he take on the Henry Cejudo/Jussier Formiga winner?
4. Big Nog retires.
We all saw this one coming, but I for one, am glad that it is happening. After losing his last three fights and most recently, a decision loss to Stefan Struve at UFC 190, it was time for the legend to step down. Last month, Dana White offered him an office job once he was done fighting.
3. Jimmy Snuka is charged in the death of Nancy Argentino.
In something I didn’t think would ever happen, Jimmy Snuka was charged with the death of former girlfriend Nancy Argentino.
I first heard about this story years ago and then read Irv Muchnick’s book Wrestling Babylon, in which he published a piece he wrote in the 90s that wasn’t published in a magazine like it was originally supposed to be.
This was a story that stuck around wrestling lore for a while but always seemed so dirty. Jimmy Snuka’s girlfriend dies in what he decrees an accident, yet it’s never followed up on and went away for many years. Well, until now.
If you have a F4W/Wrestling Observer subscription, you must listen to Muchnick talking with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer about the case.
2. Beyonce uses Ronda Rousey’s DNB speech at her concert.
To show how famous Ronda Rousey is becoming, Beyonce used Rousey’s DNB (do nothing bitch) speech during her concert the other night. One can only imagine that they’ll do something together in the future.
1. Conor McGregor is the star of the UFC’s Go Big presser.
Break out the red panties.
McGregor made that press conference must-see.
Also, you should check out the video below where McGregor finally gets back to his home.
— UFC Europe (@UFCEurope) September 7, 2015
See you next week.