Strikeforce Post-Fight Press Conference Notes For Diaz Vs. Noons II
Here are the notes from the post-fight press conference involving Scott Coker, Josh Thomson, Tyron Woodley, Marloes Coenen, KJ Noons, and Nick Diaz:
Scott Coker introduces a couple of people involved with EA MMA and Crave Online.
Gegard Mousasi, Jacare Souza, Luke Rockhold, and Jason Miller will have proteges who are going to fight all over the world and it will be shown on Sherdog and sponsored by EA MMA. It will help promote the EA MMA game.
– Keep your eye on Mr. Cyborg, Tyron Woodley, and the winner of Paul Daley and Scott Smith for possible next contenders for Nick Diaz.
– Rematch with KJ Noons probably not in the cards for the next fight.
– No timetable for a Thomson/Melendez rematch. Gilbert will probably fight for Dream next for New Year’s Eve.
– They’ve had issues trying to get Erin Toughill into the cage, but they’ll keep trying.
– Felt he won the fight 29-28, but not 30-27.
– Wasn’t worried about losing the first round.
– Both fights with Melendez were the toughest fights he’s ever had.
– He had ankle injuries, partially torn MCL, and hand and wrist problems before the fight and it was his worst training camp ever. He almost pulled out of the fight. He may take a month off.
– If Bellator and Strikeforce can co-promote and Gilbert fights Eddie Alvarez, Thomson would be game for Roger Huerta (at least that’s who it sounded like he said).
– Likes the pace he’s on and is going to get right back in there.
– Wanted to use his wrestling to stop Galvao and then make him pay with his hands when he did.
– Would love to fight the winner of Scott Smith and Paul Daley for his next fight.
– She apologized to Sarah many times and Sarah seemed ok with it.
– Her strength was still good at 135.
– She wants to put on a great show. She doesn’t like boring fights.
– Coker says that her fight with Meisha Tate will probably happen in early 2011.
– Wants to start putting the big heavyweight fights together in late January. Will probably announce in a week.
– Within 6-8 months, they’d love to do another type of show, rather than just fight cards. He says it’s an ongoing process and it’s a lot of work.
– Now has 180 fighters under contract.
– Needs to cut his hair for the next fight.
– His left hand is broken as is his jaw. Broke the hand in the second and the jaw in the first.
– Could go back down to 155, might stay at 170, but just has to figure it out.
– His timing was off a little bit and he was just missing.
– He knew he hit him hard, but didn’t know he broke his jaw.
– Nick says there is some indecisiveness in his game in the first round.
– Still thinks he would’ve won the first fight in the second round if it wasn’t stopped. Says he fought with blood in his eye tonight and he was fine.
– His hands were wrapped late and he had an issue with the wrap before the fight.
– His orthodox stance screwed with KJ because KJ trained for a southpaw.
– Boxing wouldn’t pay him enough right now, but he thinks he could be on the level of good boxers if he trained for boxing.